How to Swap a mote

Before you get started

Definitions:

Component: refers to a physical part of a water system that is being monitored by the meter.me system (e.g., tank, well, water meter)

Mote: refers to a communication device that collects information from a monitored component and sends that information to the meter.me server.

Role:

Please ensure your user is set up with an “Installer” Role on the applicable water system. An “installer” role is required to add, edit, swap, or remove motes or components on a meter.me system. Another user with an “Owner” or “Installer” Role on the system can add you as an “Installer” Role if needed.

How to swap a mote

##From the mobile app:

1. Log in to the meter.me mobile app
  2. Select the system in which you want to swap a mote
  3. Select the component whose mote you want to swap
  4. Select the gear icon in the upper right corner of the screen
  5. In the Edit component menu, scroll down to the bottom and select the currently connected Mote
  6. In the Link meter.mote screen, select the new mote you want to connect to
    • If you have not added the mote you are changing to, select Add Mote at the bottom of the screen
  7. Select Save to return to the Edit component menu
  • A pop-up will appear, asking if you would like to Keep or Remove the old mote from the system. Select your desired option.
  1. Select Save in the Edit component menu

From the web app:

1. Log in to the meter.me web app: web.meter.me (note: this action is not available on the mobile app)
  2. Select the system in which you want to swap a mote
  3. Under Devices, select Components
    a. To the right of the component whose mote you’d like to swap, select the three dots.
    b. Select Swap mote
    c. Select a mote from the list (if you’ve added the mote before) OR select Add New
  • Enter a name for the mote - typically something that indicates which component it will be linked to (i.e., South Tank) Note: the mote name will be displayed to app users in offline and battery-level alerts
  • Select the Model of the mote from the drop-down - the model of the mote should be marked on the mote’s exterior
  • Enter or scan the devEUI of the mote - the devEUI will be provided on the exterior of the mote. If your device is connected to a QR code scanner, you can also scan the devEUI from the QR code printed on the device. Otherwise, you can type the devEUI into the field
  • The uplink interval for the mote will be pre-filled with the default based on the model selected.
    1. The uplink interval refers to how often the mote reports information back to the application.
    2. In most cases, the default value can be left; however, if you know your mote has a special configuration, you can override the default and enter a different value for the uplink interval.
  • Select Save & Close
  • A pop-up will appear, asking if you would like to Keep or Remove the old mote from the system. Select your desired option.

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 11.05.14 AM

That’s it! The new mote is now linked to the existing component.