Add a Mote without linking it to a Component

Before you get started

Definitions

Component: refers to a physical part of a water system that is being monitored by the meter.me system (e.g., tank, well, water meter)

Mote: refers to a communication device that collects information from a monitored component and sends that information to the meter.me server.

Role

Please ensure your user is set up with an “Installer” Role on the applicable water system. An “installer” role is required to add, edit, swap, or remove motes or components on a meter.me system. Another user with an “Owner” or “Installer” Role on the system can add you as an “Installer” Role if needed.

As an Installer, you can:

1. Add a component and link it to a mote, or
  2. Add a mote and link it to a component later on (this process is outlined in the following steps)

Option 2: Add a Mote without linking it to a Component

Note: the component can be linked to the mote later on.

Mobile App:

1. Log in to the mobile app
  2. Navigate to the system you want to add the mote to
  3. On the components list, make sure you are toggled to “motes” and select Edit

1. Select the plus icon “+”

a. First, if available on the mote, scan the QR code to prefill any information provided.

b. Enter a name for the mote - typically something that indicates which component it will be linked to (i.e., South Tank) Note: the mote name will be displayed to app users in offline and battery-level alerts

c. If not prefilled, select the model of the mote from the drop-down - the model of the mote should be marked on the mote’s exterior

d. If not prefilled, enter or scan the devEUI of the mote - the devEUI will be provided on the exterior of the mote

1. If your device is connected to a QR code scanner, you can also scan the devEUI from the QR code printed on the device
  2. Otherwise, you can type the devEUI into the field

e. The uplink interval for the mote will be pre-filled with the default based on the model selected; the defaults can be found on the forum for reference Reference: Mote Settings

1. The uplink interval refers to how often the mote reports information to the application.
  2. In most cases, the default value can be left; however, if you know your mote has a special configuration, you can override the default and enter a different value for the uplink interval.

f. Select Save

That’s it! You’ve added a mote. You’ll want to go back to the components tab and link this mote to a component later on. (Refer to how to add a component and link it to a mote.)

Web App:

1. Log in to the meter.me web app: web.meter.me
  2. Select the system you want to add a mote to
  3. Under Devices, select Motes
  4. In the upper right corner, select Add Mote

a. Enter a name for the mote - typically something that indicates which component it will be linked to (i.e., South Tank) Note: the mote name will be displayed to app users in offline and battery-level alerts

b. Select the Model of the mote from the drop-down - the model of the mote should be marked on the mote’s exterior

c. Enter or scan the devEUI of the mote - the devEUI will be provided on the exterior of the mote

1. If your device is connected to a QR code scanner, you can also scan the devEUI from the QR code printed on the device
  2. Otherwise, you can type the devEUI into the field

d. The uplink interval for the mote will be pre-filled with the default based on the model selected. (Link to article with default configuration for each model of mote)

1. The uplink interval refers to how often the mote reports information to the application.
  2. In most cases, the default value can be left; however, if you know your mote has a special configuration, you can override the default and enter a different value for the uplink interval.

e. Select Save & Close

That’s it! You’ve added a mote. You’ll want to go back to the components tab and link this mote to a component later on. (Refer to how to add a component and link it to a mote.)