Configure a water meter mote

While discrepancies in water meter accuracy are to be expected, there are some best practices to ensure as accurate a reading as possible.

One of the most important things to consider is the tick rate of the meter, which is usually labeled on the device. If it is not labeled, you can find the tick rate using a continuity tester to count the pulses in relation to the gallons flowing through the meter.

It is crucial to have as little water flowing as possible during installation for water meter motes. This is because accurate readings cannot be obtained when water is actively flowing, which will create a notable discrepancy.

Another factor that can cause discrepancies is a water meter that does not have a check valve. This valve is highly recommended because it prevents water backflow from being registered as pulses, thereby increasing the accuracy of the meter count.

You can update the tick rate via the web app:

1. Log in to the meter.me web app with your account

2. Select the system that contains the component you are updating

3. Select the 3 dots to the right of the component you are updating

4. Select Edit

5. Update the Tick Quantity to the proper rate of your meter, the unit to the right can be adjusted for gallons as well as liters.

6. Select Save

If you need to reset the meter’s count, check out our article: Can I reset the count on my water meter?